Here is my rendition of a hand decorated origami crane, inspired by Cristian Marianciuc. I drew different wing designs on each wing to see what I liked best. (click the images to enlarge)
Once I had a design I liked I scanned it into the computer, then used Gimp to mirror the pattern I liked best onto the other wing.
I then created a pdf file which you can download here. Print yourself a copy, cut out the pattern and fold along to get your very own hand decorated crane.
The final result is shown at right.
How to Make It
- Print the pattern and cut it out.
- Starting with the printed side up, valley fold then unfold along both diagonals.
- Flip the pattern over, then book fold and unfold side to side and top to bottom.
- Flip it over again. You should have something like the image at right.
- Collapse this into a square base.
- When your bird base is finished the printed wing pattern will be on the inside.
- Before you form the head note which side is the “front” edge of the wing pattern.
The finished crane.
This image shows two cranes I folded. The one on the left is the usual Crane. For the one on the right I reverse-folded the body down inside the crane and then used a bit of glue to glue it closed. I like the effect it creates.
If you enjoy folding this origami crane, donations are greatly appreciated.